A5 M1 Link Project
Costain Carillion JV
Surfacing on the project, including a new link road between the A5 and M1, and a new junction (11a) south of Chalton. The scheme aims to reduce the amount of traffic running through Dunstable to the M1 by creating a bypass from the town centre.
- CBGM outputs up to 800t/shift, using mobile plant
- Base outputs up to 1400t/shift
- Binder course outputs up to 900t/shift
- Surface course outputs up to 700t/shift
- Volume: 12k/t of CBGM and 137k/t of asphalt laid
- Daily collaboration meetings were held between all parties in advance of any major tie in/traffic switches, to ensure every detail was covered
Results & Achievements
- The use of LPS system (Local Positioning System) for machine control of line and level, removed the need for survey pins throughout the scheme and, thus, reduced time, improved safety, and aided the efficient transfer of information from site to office
- Manufacture and supply of Cement Bound Granular Material (CGBM) from onsite mobile plant
- Quick transfer of data
- Training of two more GPS Supervisors during the scheme, both of whom are receiving ongoing training as Supervisors via CITB
- Completed on programme and to budget
- Delivered Safely
“The A5-M1 Link will increase accessibility between Milton Keynes and M1 Junction 9, making journey times shorter and more reliable for vehicles travelling a long distance.”
Central Bedfordshire Council
To find out how Toppesfield can add value to your project contact email@example.com.
Call 01473 829129 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to speak to a member of our team and discuss how we can add value to your next project. We’re always happy to answer questions and meet potential customers.